Mission and Philosophy
At Blue Hill Montessori School, we honor the potential in every child, nurturing a child's individual spirit to reveal itself through hands on exploration thereby building a strong foundation for your child's life.
The Montessori method or philosophy was developed by Dr. Maria Montessori. Born in 1870, she became the first woman in Italy to earn a medical degree. During her work, first with developmentally
delayed children and later with normal children, she had extensive opportunities to study how children learn and, as a result, developed an educational method that differed dramatically from
educational principles of the early 20th century.
In short, Dr. Montessori observed that children learn naturally about themselves and their world through exploration and discovery. From their inception, Montessori schools have used materials and methods designed specifically to encourage this natural learning and to help children become self-motivated, independent learners for life.
Montessori schools seek to a provide a balanced curriculum in practical life skills, sensorial ability, mathematics, language, science, geography, computer study, music and the cultural arts.
- Montessori materials arouse children's spontaneous interest, providing a concentration on tasks that, because it is natural and self-generated, promotes independent learning. These can include learning puzzles, perceptual learning materials and activities designed to promote everyday skills.
- Children are free to move about from one set of materials to another in an environment prepared for independent, multi-sensory learning.
- Montessori schools emphasize learning to read and write early. Students are placed in mixed-age classrooms where they can work and advance at their own pace.
- Our teachers are observers and catalysts providing guidance in what is essentially a child-centered experience.
- Our environment is calm, warm and homelike, encouraging children to feel free to move about, to explore, to focus on what interests them.
- The Montessori method seeks to instill both self-confidence and self-discipline.
News and Events
10/01/18 This week from AMS: Montessori Kindergarten resources and information for helping parents understand the benefits of allowing their children to experience the full 3 years of the Montessori Early Childhood cycle. Full Story Here
Congratulations to John and Veronica Ricks, devoted grandparents to Lexi and Ronin. You are our 50/50 raffle winner of $1,105!!! Special thanks to Shrey for helping draw the winning raffle ticket on his last day at BHMS.
In case you missed this story in last week's NY Times, Montessori alumnus, founder and CEO of Amazon.com, Jeff Bezos, and his wife, MacKenzie, pledged to donate two billion dollars to launch a network of Montessori preschools serving young children from low-income families and creating new support systems to help address homelessness in America. Full Story Here