Morning Session, Monday through Friday 9am-12pm
The Montessori Morning Session is BHMS’s main program. We have 2 classrooms; each staffed with one Lead Teacher and one Assistant Teacher with a maximum of 20 children in each class when at full capacity. Each teaching team has established a carefully prepared working environment for their specific group of children. Each of the classrooms is a mixed age group serving children ages 2.9-6 years old. This is otherwise known as the “Children’s House” in Montessori education. Next to the parents and teachers, the best people a child can learn new skills from is their peers. A child may then learn a new concept or reach a new stage of development at their own pace inspired by other children. In summation, at BHMS, we "Follow the Child."
In the Montessori Morning Session, five distinct areas constitute the prepared environment:
- Practical life enhances the development of task organization and cognitive order through care of self, care of the environment, exercises of grace and courtesy, and coordination of physical movement.
- The sensorial area enables the child to order, classify and describe sensory impressions in relation to length, width, temperature, mass, color, pitch, etc.
- Mathematics makes use of manipulative materials to enable the child to internalize concepts of number, symbol, sequence, operations, and memorization of basic facts.
- Language arts includes oral language development, written expression, reading, the study of grammar, creative dramatics, and children's literature. Basic skills in reading and writing are developed through the use of sandpaper letters, alphabet cut-outs, and various presentations allowing children to link sounds and letter symbols effortlessly and to express their thoughts through writing.
- Cultural activities expose the child to basics in geography, history, and life sciences. Music, art, and movement education are part of the integrated cultural curriculum.
Observers to Montessori classes often comment that the children are well-behaved and seem to need few discipline reminders from adults. This is because they are working at activities that they have chosen, and which are appropriate to their ability levels. The teachers speak softly and respectfully to the children, and the children respond in kind. Consistency in teaching mutual respect, as well as a calm, encouraging atmosphere help children grow and learn.
Morning Session Hours
9 AM to 12PM, Monday through Friday